If you’ve already filed a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and your case is still pending with USCIS, here’s what you should know.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Address Change

If you relocate, you must notify USCIS of your new address within ten days of your move. If you do not change your address, you may miss important case notifications. Your address will not be updated with USCIS if you change your address with the USPS. Learn how to update your address with us by visiting our Change of Address Information page.

Time to Process a Case

You can find out how long it takes a specific USCIS office to process a Form I-485. For additional details, see our USCIS Processing Time Information page.

Suppose you applied for a Green Card based on employment. In that case, you could also find more information on our Immigration and Citizenship Data and Questions & Answers: Pending Employment-Based Form I-485 Inventory sites.

Updates on Case Status

If you need an update on the status of your application, you can: • Go to our Case Status Online page and look up your case status using your Form I-485 receipt number.

  • If you believe your application will take longer than usual to process, submit a case inquiry.
  • Contact our USCIS Customer Service Center at 800-375-5283.
  • TTY 800-767-1833 for those who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability.

When You Have to Travel

Please check the instructions for Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, for further information if you need to leave the United States temporarily while your Form I-485 is pending. If you leave the United States without an advance parole document and have a pending Form I-485, you will have abandoned your application. See our Travel Documents page for more details.

Recent Posts

How To Move To Canada
How To Immigrate To Canada

The Canadian Government has announced to welcome a... >>

How To Move To Australia: An Ultimate Relocation Guide
How To Move To Australia?

Do you want to move to Australia? Are... >>

Has Your Visa Expired or About to Expire in Australia?

Stay a Little LongerCheck out what you will... >>

Check Your Working Visa Options in Australia!

If you wish to work in Australia for... >>

Discover Your Visa Options for Visiting Australia!

A Tourist Stream (applying outside Australia)This visa category allows... >>