Application Fee:



Processing Time:


3 - 4 Months

Table of Contents

The L Visas USA (L-1A and L-1B) are for temporary intracompany transferees who work in managerial positions or have specialized knowledge or skill.

Who Is It For

The L visas are applicable for temporary workers in the United States.

The L1A visas are for managers and executives.

The L1B visas are for professionals with specialized knowledge.

How to Qualify?

Employees eligible for L1A visa:

  • Manage a company, subdivision, department or part of the organization;
  • Control and manage the work of other professional, managerial, or supervisory workers, or manage vital functions with the company, department or subdivision;
  • Have the right to fire and hire, endorse promotions;
  • Exercise discretion over day-to-day operations and establish policies and goals.

Employees eligible for the L1B visa:

  • Own unique or special knowledge of the organization’s service, research, product, methods, administration, equipment or interests and application in global marketplaces, or a progressive knowledge level, or skill in the firm’s procedures and progressions.


How to apply for L Visas?

The process for getting an L-1 visa is comparatively simple compared to other visas:

  • The interested applicant first files an I-129 form with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service along with papers showing the company and the employee’s eligibility for an L-1 visa.
  • Once the USCIS approves the application, it will issue a notice of action. After this, the applicant to either apply for a visa at a US embassy or consulate in his or her home country or apply for a change of status if the applicant is inside the country.
  • If you are staying outside the U.S. and required to go through consular processing, you must fill out a DS-160 online visa applicationand bring the confirmation to the consulate or embassy along with the filing fee. Afterwards, the interview process will begin.
  • If you can pass the interview, you will be provided your L-1 visa and you will be able to start your operations for your employer in the U.S.

Documents Needed

From the Foreign Company:

  • company brochure.
  • Incorporation documents
  • Financials documents
  • bank statements.
  • business lease, mortgage or deed.
  • utility bills copies
  • contracts with other companies, including U.S. companies.
  • Organizational Chart.

From the U.S. Company:

  • A company brochure.
  • Incorporation documents
  • business plan (if new company).
  • Financials documents
  • bank statements.
  • business lease, mortgage or deed.
  • utility bills.
  • contracts with other companies, including U.S. companies.
  • Organizational Chart

From the Foreign National:

  • Copy of Visa and I-94 (if in the U.S.).
  • Proof that overseas worker has worked at foreign company for at least 12 of last 36 months
  • Resume
  • Educational degree documents
  • letters of experience from previous employers (if available).

Government Fees

The visa application fee for the L visas varies.

Additional Information

If you want to get a visa extension or renewal, the procedure shares many steps with the process related to the original visa application. Your employer will need to file a new petition for you prior to the termination of the I-94 departure date.

Source: U.S. Department of State