Stay a Little Longer

Check out what you will need to do if COVID19 forces you to stay longer.

When you desire to stay in Australia for longer, you need to apply for a new visa. If your current visa contains a condition that restricts you from staying longer, you will not be eligible to apply for a new one in Australia.

Your visa options and what you need to do to stay legal while applying for a new visa will be determined by your circumstances.

  • Check the date and conditions of your visa’s expiration.
  • Before you consider your alternatives for staying longer, you should be aware of the following:
  • Whether you have a condition that prevents you from staying longer on your other visa conditions when your visa ends

In VEVO, the myVEVO app, or your visa grant letter, look up your visa expiration date and restrictions. The free myVEVO app is available in the Apple and Google app stores.

If you are in Australia on an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), use our Check an ETA service to see when your ETA expires and what circumstances apply.

You must leave Australia before your visa expires if your visa has a condition that bans you from staying longer.

Other permits for return are available, but only after you have left Australia.

Before your visa expires, apply to extend your stay

Examine new visa choices and submit your application:

If your existing visa does not include a condition that stops you from staying longer, you may be able to apply for a new one while it is still valid.

Examine your existing visa:

Your present visa may provide a road to a different visa that you can apply for.

On the list of all visas, look for your current or most recent visa.

Additional visa options:

Examine your visa choices to see whether you qualify for a new visa and to see if you can apply for it.

On a bridging visa, stay legal:

We will normally give you a Bridging visa A (BVA) if you apply for a new visa before your existing one expires.

Your BVA maintains you legal in Australia when you do the following:

Your present visa is about to expire, and we haven’t decided on your new visa application yet.

If you need to return to Australia, do not leave on your BVA. When you depart, your BVA will expire, and you will not be allowed to return.

After being granted a BVA, you’ll need to apply for a Bridging visa B (BVB) if you want to leave and return to Australia.

When your visa has expired

If your previous visa has already expired, your options for obtaining a new one are restricted. Look at your visa possibilities. If you stay here without a valid visa, you will be doing so illegally. We anticipate your departure. 

If you want financial or other assistance in planning your trip, please contact:

  • The International Organization for Migration (IOM) 
  • Homeward Return Program 
  • The Embassy or High Commission of your native country in Australia

If you are here without a valid visa, we may take enforcement action against you, like detaining you.

Find out more about what might happen.

Recent Posts

How To Move To Canada
How To Immigrate To Canada

The Canadian Government has announced to welcome a... >>

How To Move To Australia: An Ultimate Relocation Guide
How To Move To Australia?

Do you want to move to Australia? Are... >>

Check Your Working Visa Options in Australia!

If you wish to work in Australia for... >>

Discover Your Visa Options for Visiting Australia!

A Tourist Stream (applying outside Australia)This visa category allows... >>