The P3 visa is a non-immigrant visa which grants temporary residency to foreign nationals to arrive into the U.S. to perform, give lesson or train as artists or performers, alone or as part of a group, under a program that is culturally exceptional.

If you are an artist or entertainer accepted by a U.S. organization to perform under a program that is culturally unique, you may qualify for a P-3 visa (Artists & Entertainers Temporary Work Visa).

Individual or part of a group wishing to join or perform in a culturally unique program. Represent, demonstrate, or train in cultural, folk, musical, ethnic, artistic, or theatrical arts or to act as support personnel to P3 holders.

Source: U.S. Department of State

P-3 visas are offered to artists or performers who want to enter into the U.S., either individually or as part of a performing group, to coach, interpret or lead in an event that is considered culturally unique and important. The event may be of either a commercial or noncommercial nature.

The P-3 applicant must be coming to the U.S. to engage in one or more cultural events. the employer will have to submit the following on the applicant’s behalf:

  • statements from notable experts presenting the validity of the person or group’s skills in presenting, coaching, performing, or training the unique or traditional art form and presenting the basis of knowledge of the person or group’s skill, or
  • evidence that the individual or group’s art form is culturally very unique, as published in newspapers, journals, or other published materials, and that the demonstration will be culturally unique;
  • the support staffs of P‑3 aliens should also request classification under the P-3 category. The required documents for P-3 support staffs should include:
    • a consent from a labor organization with expertise in the area of the applicant’s skill;
    • a statement mentioning why the support staff is so essential; and
    • a copy of the signed-up contract or a summary of the terms of the oral agreement between the applicant and the employer.
Source: U.S. Department of State

How to apply for P3 Visa?

Your U.S. company/employer, agent, or sponsoring organization have to submit Form I-129, Petition for a Non-Immigrant Worker.   For details about the Form I-129, see the Form 1-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker.

Please note that a petitioner who will be applying as an agent for multiple employers should establish that it is duly approved to act as an agent. The required conditions can be found in the memorandum Requirements for Agents and Sponsors Filing as Petitioners for the O and P Visa Classifications. (PDF, 790.07 KB)

Source: U.S. Department of State

Your Form I-129 must include the following documents for P3 Visa application:

  • Written consent from an appropriate labor organization
  • A copy signed up contract between the petitioner and the beneficiary or the short summary of the conditions of an oral contract between the petitioner and the beneficiary
  • A complete statement of the event and itinerary
  • Legal Affidavits, testimonials or letters from recognized experts confirming to the legitimacy of your or your group’s skills in performing, presenting, training, or teaching the unique and traditional art forms and giving the credentials of the expert including the foundation of his or her knowledge of your or your group’s skills; OR documentation that your or your group’s performance is culturally unique as evidenced by reviews in newspapers, journals or other published materials.
  • Credentials that all of the performances or programs will be culturally unique events
  • Note:  an itinerary is important if the events are to be in different locations. The itinerary must include the dates and details about locations.
Source: U.S. Department of State

The visa application fee for the P3 visa is $460.

Source: U.S. Department of State

P3 Visa has many benefits and some limitations. Know some of the facts before you apply:

  • Commercial or Non-commercial – program may be either for profit or non-profit purposes.
  • Level of performance – a lower threshold admissible compared to P-1 visa, but level of performance of the U.S. and visiting performers should be related.
  • Duration – P3 visa is for a duration that is required to complete the program or event, up to a maximum of 1 year.
  • Extensions – visa duration depends on lots of factors but 1 year extension may be allowed if proper evidence is submitted.
  • Study – applicant can undertake part-time study.
  • Support personnel – may apply for P-3 visa to enter into the US with the principal P-2 visa holder.
  • Travel – May Travel without restrictions inside and outside the U.S. while P-3 visa is valid.
  • Dependents – Spouse and/or dependent children under 21 years old may accompany or travel under a P-4 category.  They are not allowed to work on a P-4 visa.
  • Permanent residency / Green Card – applicant may apply for an Adjustment of Status and strive for permanent residency.
  • Dependents & employment – dependents on P-4 visa may not work.
Source: U.S. Department of State