J-1 visa holders can bring his or her dependent family members like spouse and children through the J2 visa. J-2 visa holders must be dependent on the status of the J-1 applicant. Since the J-1 visa has many categories, rules for J-2 visa application is not same. Categories of secondary school student, travel participants, camp counselor and au pair are not restricted to have the J-2 dependents accompany them to the United States. Rest of the categories are permitted to have J-2 dependent family members.

It is to be noted that the J-1 visa applicants are sponsored by U.S. employers and programs. So if their program allows a J-2 dependents application, only then it is possible to submit a J-2 visa for dependent members of the family. For instance, university students with J-1 visa may face difficulties as the U.S. government does not state any objectives for this.

J-2 visas do not have any cap, therefore, there is no limitations to the number of people can enter the U.S. with the J-2 visa. J-2 visa applicants are permitted to get admission in academic 5nst5t4te, have a driver’s license, open a bank account, and travel in and out of the U.S.

The dependents spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age of the J-1 visa holder are eligible for J-2 dependents status to stay in the U.S.

Source: U.S. Department of State

The eligibility requirements for a J-2 visa in the USA are as follows:

  • Be the spouse of a valid J-1 visa holder
  • Be the dependent unmarried child under 21 years old of a valid J-1 visa holder
  • Be permitted by the J-1 visa sponsor or program to accompany the J-1 visa holder
  • People who are in relationships without marriage cannot accompany with a J-1 visa holder. Unless you are married to your j-1 visa approved partner and have genuine proof of marriage, you are not eligible for a J-2 dependent visa.
Source: U.S. Department of State

The J-2 visa application process is similar to the J-1 visa application. The J-1 sponsor must allow them to bring their dependent family members, and for this, they will issue them a separate DS-2019 form. The J-2 visa applicant should follow the following application procedure:

  • Fill up the DS-160 online form ;
  • Pay the government visa application fee;
  • Schedule an interview at the embassy and get the confirmation letter;
  • Submit proper documents;
  • Attend the interview on time where you will have J-2 visa interview questions related to your plans in the U.S, your relationship with the J-1 visa holder, and financial condition.

Along with all these steps, you must do health insurance to qualify for getting the J-2 visa. The sponsors of J-1 visa offer health insurance to the primary J-1 visa holder and sometimes they also offer health insurance to J-2 visa applicants as well. If the J-1 program sponsor does not issue the health insurance for your J-2 dependent family member, you will have to do it yourself.

Source: U.S. Department of State

You must submit following documents for your J-2 visa application:

  • Your valid passport
  • Your DS-160 form barcode
  • Your interview confirmation letter
  • One US visa style photograph
  • All SEVIS pages and a copy of your DS-2019 form
  • A valid copy of the J-1 visa holder’s DS-2019 form
  • If the J-1 visa holder is an intern or trainee, you must provide a copy of their DS-7002 form
  • Marriage documents to prove you are genuinely married to the J-1 visa holder
  • Marriage pictures and other documents that prove your marriage
  • Wedding guest list
  • If married at the registrar, the copy of the affidavit, and pictures with marriage witnesses
  • Birth certificates of children
  • Proof of financial solvency which show sufficient funds to cover up all the expenses
Source: U.S. Department of State

The visa application fee for the J2 visa is $160.

Source: U.S. Department of State

After the successful interview at the embassy, you will be issued a J-2 visa. The visa will allow you to leave for the U.S at the same time or after the J-1 visa holder. Yet, you cannot leave for the U.S ahead of the person who has the J-1 visa.

J-2 visa holder can stay in the U.S. as long as the J-1 visa holder has the valid status

Source: U.S. Department of State