The United States has top ranking universities and institutes. A great number of students dream of studying in the United States. Students must have clear understanding on how the US student visa really works. all student visa applicants must be approved by a school or program. After the acceptance, the institutions will provide each applicant the necessary approval documentation to be submitted when submitting for a student visa. The US offers F1 and M1 Student Visa for getting into top-ranking universities and institutes.

F-1 Visa

The F-1 Visa is the common type of student visa. If your plan is to be admitted in academic educations in the United States at an accepted school, such as an accredited U.S. institute, college or university, private secondary school, then you will be required to have an F-1 visa in your passport. If your preferred course of study is going to be longer than 18 months, you must have an F-1 visa approval.

M-1 Visa

For non-academic or any kind of vocational study at a U.S. institute, you may need an M-1 visa. For more information about each of these visas and visa requirements for studying in the United States can be found at the government website.

Source: U.S. Department of State

Eligibility Requirements for US Student Visas

To qualify for an F-1 or M-1 visa, USCIS states that you must:

  • Get admitted as a full-time basis student in an academic educational program, a language training program, or a vocational program in the U.S.
  • Be accepted into a U.S. institute that is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement
  • Prove English proficiency level and submit required English Language Test result like TOEFL.
  • Demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during the complete course of study
  • Show your genuine intention of studying in the U.S.
Source: U.S. Department of State

How to get a US student visa?

Find the F1 and M1 Student Visa application steps detailed below.

Step 1

Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.

Step 2

Pay the visa application fee for F-1 or M-1 visa

Step 3

  • Schedule your online appointment. You will be required to give the following information in order to schedule your appointment:
  • Your current passport number
  • Receipt number from your Visa fee payment receipt.
  • Ten barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page.

Step 4

  • Read your interview letter and visit the S. Embassy or Consulate on the date. You must not forget to bring the following things:
  • a copy of your appointment letter, DS-160 confirmation page,
  • your photograph taken within the last six months,
  • your current and all old passports, and
  • the original visa fee payment receipt.

Applications without all of these items will not be accepted.

Source: U.S. Department of State

To apply for an F1 or M1 student visa, you must submit the following:

  • A Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) Form. Visit the DS-160 web page for more information about the DS-160.
  • Your passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions).
  • USCIS specified photograph – One (1) 2”x2” (5cmx5cm) photograph taken within the last six months.
  • Your fee payment receipt showing payment of your US$160 non-refundable government visa processing fee paid in local currency. Visa application fees are clearly mentioned on USCIS site. Visit and learn how much to pay for your F-1 or M-1 visa.
  • Form I-20 which is approved by your U.S. school or program
  • In addition to those items, you need to present an interview appointment letter confirming that you simply booked a meeting through this service. you’ll also bring whatever supporting documents you think support the information provided to the consular officer.
Source: U.S. Department of State

The visa application fee for the F1 and M1 Student visa is $160.

Source: U.S. Department of State

U.S. Public Schools

U.S. law doesn’t permit foreign students to attend public primary school (kindergarten to 8th grade) or a publicly funded adult education program. Hence, F-1 visas can’t be issued for study at such schools.

An F-1 visa can be issued for attendance at a public secondary school (grades 9 to 12), but the student is restricted to a maximum of 12 months at the school. the school must also indicate on the form I-20 that the student has paid the unsubsidized cost of the education and also the amount submitted by the student for that purpose.

Source: U.S. Department of State