People who are in New Zealand on visitor visa or student visa status might be able to apply for another visa to do seasonal work in the horticulture or viticulture sectors. People in New Zealand who are currently holding or have held a work visa can also apply (including people who have formerly held a SSE visa), if the visa application is lodged before March 2022.

With this visa you can plant, conserve, harvest or packing crops for an SSE-approved employer.

You must remember that

  • You can apply for this visa if you are currently holding or have held a visitor or student visa.
  • You cannot include a partner or dependent children in this visa application.

This visa is for people who are on visitor visa or student visa and want to do some seasonal work in the horticulture or viticulture sectors.

Source: Immigration New Zealand

Stay in New Zealand: You must be already in New Zealand

Current student, visitor or work visa: You must have a current Student or Visitor visa – or, if you apply before 31 March 2022, a Work visa. Immigration New Zealand will check records for evidence of your current visa. Individuals who have a Work visa are not eligible for this visa if they apply on or after 31 March 2022.

Seasonal work: You must genuinely intend to do seasonal work for an SSE-approved employer

  • An employment offer from an SSE-approved employer.
  • Documents that show you’ve reserved travel to or accommodation in a region where SSE-permitted employers are positioned.
  • Documents that define the seasonal work that may be offered to you to do in the horticulture or viticulture industries.
  • All available records showing you’ve contacted a Seasonal Labour Co-ordinator
  • Records showing you’ve contacted an SSE-approved employer.

Onward travel: You must have a ticket to leave New Zealand or enough money to buy one — unless your application has been made between 1 October 2020 and 30 June 2021

Source: Immigration New Zealand

Step 1 – Apply for a Supplementary Seasonal Employment Work Visa

Fill-up a ‘SSE/WHE Work Visa Application’ form and send it to Immigration New Zealand with your application fee, immigration levy, and required documents.

For the 2020/21 season only (until 30 June 2021) you can also work for:

  • a Recognised Seasonal Employer (RSE) with an approved Agreement to Recruit where places have been unable to be filled by RSE workers; and
  • any employer in a role, region and during a period of time that’s specified by MSD (and published on the Work and Income website).

Supplementary Seasonal Employer (SSE) visa list

Your application must be accompanied by a job offer from an eligible employer.

Send your application to:

Postal address

Immigration New Zealand

PO Box 76895

Manukau City

Auckland 2241

New Zealand


Immigration NZ

DX Box: EP71514

20 Fairfax Avenue


Auckland 1061

New Zealand.

Step 2 – Decision about your application

If there is anything else you need to do, Immigration New Zealand will contact you.

Source: Immigration New Zealand
  • Completed and signed the application form (SSE/WHE Work Visa Application (INZ 1153)
  • Application fee and applicable levies.
  • Passport or travel documents
  • A recent passport-size photograph.
  • Evidence of an outward ticket
  • Evidence of my employment offer
  • Evidence of good health.
  • Evidence of good Character
Source: Immigration New Zealand

Application cost NZD$ 332. This is the charge for Immigration New Zealand to process your application. Immigration New Zealand does not refund application fees if your application gets rejected.

A non-refundable immigration levy is charged and is included in the cost.

Source: Immigration New Zealand