If you are a student outside New Zealand and have been selected for an approved student exchange scheme, you can study in New Zealand and earn a recognised degree from a New Zealand institute. You can Study full-time in New Zealand in a school-to-school exchange, an exchange programme organisation scheme or a tertiary exchange. You are allowed to work part-time up to 20 hours a week while studying or full-time in the holidays, depending on your age and length of your study. The length of stay is up to 4 years depending on the length of your exchange.

  • You are allowed to apply if you’re outside of New Zealand.
  • You don’t have to pay tuition fees, as you’re considered a domestic student.
  • The exchange schemes may include school-to-school exchanges, exchanges planned by exchange programme organisations and tertiary exchanges.

This visa is for overseas students who have been selected for an approved student exchange scheme.

Source: Immigration New Zealand

Genuine intentions: You must have genuine intention to study in New Zealand

Approved exchange scheme: You must provide document that you’ve been selected to an approved student exchange scheme. For instance, a letter from the scheme organiser.

Permission to work: If your age is 16 or 17, or in years 12 or 13 of secondary school, you must have proper permission to work. Permission to work up to 20 hours a week and/or full-time in the summer holidays from each of the following:

  • your parents or legal guardian
  • your approved education provider
  • your Exchange Provider Organisation.

Note that you don’t require to seek any permission if you‘re 18 years of age or over and at secondary school, and want to work during the summer holiday period.

Immigration New Zealand will not grant you a work right if you are under 16 with a valid Student Visa.

Be outside of New Zealand: You must be outside of New Zealand at the time of visa application. Immigration New Zealand will check their records, to make sure you are not already in New Zealand. If you’re already in New Zealand, Immigration New Zealand can only grant this visa in very special circumstances.

Onward travel: You must have made arrangements to leave New Zealand

Source: Immigration New Zealand

Step 1 – Apply for a place in a student exchange scheme

If you want to apply for this visa, you must be accepted into an approved student exchange scheme. You must not delay your application if you are approved. You should apply for a Student Visa as soon as your exchange is confirmed (but no earlier than 60 days before the exchange starts).

Step 2 – Apply for a student visa online

You can make this application online. To make sure your application is accepted for processing, you will need to make sure you provide all the supporting documents when asked for. Use our first-time student visa application checklist to help you.

First-time student visa application checklist

Step 3 – Decision on your application

If there is anything else you need to do, Immigration New Zealand will be in touch.If you are in New Zealand, and your current temporary visa expires before your new visa is granted, we will normally issue you an interim visa to let you stay in New Zealand lawfully.

Source: Immigration New Zealand
  • An offer to study at a New Zealand education provider
  • A copy of the identity pages in your current passport
  • Tuition fees evidence
  • Evidence you have enough money to live on and where this money has come from
  • (INZ 1014) form
  • govt.nz/inz-1014
  • Evidence you have enough money to leave New Zealand
  • Evidence can be a fully paid ticket out of the country or evidence you have enough money to buy a ticket.
Source: Immigration New Zealand

Application Fee: NZD$330

This is the charge for Immigration New Zealand to process your application. Immigration New Zealand will not refund application costs if we decline your application. A non-refundable immigration levy is charged and is included in the cost.

Source: Immigration New Zealand