The parent retirement visa of New Zealand will allow you to join your adult child in New Zealand. This visa will permit you to live in New Zealand indefinitely. To be eligible for the Parent Retirement Resident Visa, you must be able to meet Immigration New Zealand’s financial requirements.

With this visa you can

  • Live, work and study in New Zealand.
  • Include your partner in your visa application.
  • Apply for permanent residence after 4 years of keeping your funds invested in New Zealand.

If you have an adult child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident, you can apply to live in New Zealand indefinably.

Source: Immigration New Zealand

Your child’s immigration status: Your child must be a New Zealand citizen or resident

Your child’s place of residence: Your child must live in New Zealand

Dependent children: You must have no dependent children

Your relationship with the sponsoring child: You must be the parent or legal guardian of your child

Your relationship with your children: You must provide evidence of your relationship to all of your other children

Investment funds: You must have NZ $1 million or more to invest in New Zealand for 4 years

Source of investment funds: You must have earned or acquired your funds lawfully

Transfer investment funds: You must transfer your investment funds to New Zealand

Settlement funds: You must have at least NZ $500,000

Annual income: You must have an annual income of NZ $60,000 or more

Bring partner: Your partner must meet the requirements for this visa

Acceptable investments: You must invest NZ $1 million in acceptable investments in New Zealand for a minimum of 4 years

Source: Immigration New Zealand

Step 1 – You apply for residence

Complete a ‘Parent Retirement Category Residence Application’ and send it to Immigration New Zealand together with your application fee, immigration levy, and supporting documents.

Step 2 – Decision about your application

If your application is successful, we approve it in principle.

Step 3 – Transferring your funds to New Zealand and making your investment

If Immigration New Zealand accepts and approves your application in principle, you will have 12 months to transfer your funds and invest in an acceptable investment.

You must demonstrate that your funds or assets came from the genuine source you named in your residence application.

You may apply for a visitor visa before you plan to invest. You can check out all the investment opportunities before transferring your funds.

Step 4 – Your resident visa is approved

After your visa grant, the immigration department will check in with you to make sure you are meeting the rules of your visa like keeping your funds invested in New Zealand.

If you have met all the conditions at the end of your 4-year investment, you may be eligible for a Permanent Resident Visa.

Source: Immigration New Zealand
  • Completed and signed the application form.
  • Application fee and immigration levy.
  • Photocopies of the identity pages of my passport(s).
  • Two recent passport-size photographs of myself and each applicant.
  • Evidence related to my adult child and their immigration status.
  • Evidence of my nominated investment funds and settlement funds.
  • Evidence of my annual income.
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable).
  • Appropriate evidence to show that my partnership is genuine and stable (if applicable).
  • My/our full birth certificate(s).
  • My/our police certificate(s).
  • My/our completed medical and chest X-ray certificates if required
Source: Immigration New Zealand

Application cost NZD$ 3,720

This is the charge for Immigration New Zealand to process your application. We do not refund application costs if we decline your application. A non-refundable immigration levy is charged and is included in the cost.

Source: Immigration New Zealand
  • If your visa is approved, you’ll have 12 months to transfer your investment funds to New Zealand.
  • If you want to come to New Zealand to explore investment opportunities, you should apply for work visa. If your spouse wants to come with you, they’ll need to apply for their own work or visitor visa.
Source: Immigration New Zealand