The Immigration New Zealand offers a wide range of visa categories to suite your purpose and need. If you need to come to New Zealand for a specific purpose, you may choose to apply for a Specific Purpose Work Visa. You must have relevant qualification and skills related to your specific purpose or event and be able to outline the duration you will need to finish your specific purpose or event. Examples of people who may be able to apply include sports players, business people on secondments, professional coaches, Philippines nurses seeking occupational registration and specialist installers or services.

With this visa you can

  • Come to New Zealand for a specific purpose or event.
  • Work for a specific employer for the time allowed to complete your specific purpose or event.

Specific Purpose Work Visa is for a person who needs to perform a specific work or event in New Zealand.

Source: Immigration New Zealand

Genuine intentions: You must have genuine intention to work for a specific purpose only.

Specific purpose or event: You must need to come to New Zealand for a specific purpose work or event. You must find your events and purposes that are acceptable. The evidence you will provide will depend on the specific purpose or event you will be undertaking in New Zealand.

Time in New Zealand: You must specify the duration of time you need to complete your specific purpose or event in New Zealand

Your evidence may include the following:

  • a job offer
  • a letter of invitation
  • a schedule of events.

Qualifications and/or work experience: You may need specific qualifications and experience related to the purpose or event.

You must provide evidence you have relevant qualifications or experience. Examples of evidence include:

  • employment records or references
  • recognised international dance or music teaching qualifications
  • Philippines nurse qualifications
  • documents that show you have international merit or distinction
  • any other relevant qualifications.
Source: Immigration New Zealand

Step 1 – You apply for a work visa

Apply on the paper form and send it to Immigration New Zealand with your application fee, immigration levy, and your supporting documents.

You may also need to provide an ‘Employer Supplementary Form‘, completed by your employer.

Step 2 – Immigration New Zealand will make a decision about your application

If there is anything else you need to do, Immigration New Zealand will be in touch.

Source: Immigration New Zealand

All applicants must provide:

  • Completed, signed application form
  • Appropriate application fee and levies
  • Two passport-sized colour photographs
  • Passport or travel document
  • Medical
  • Police certificates
  • Evidence of qualifications relevant to the job offer.
  • Evidence of work experience relevant to the job offer.
  • Evidence they have met or are able to meet any necessary
  • New Zealand registration requirements
  • A job offer and a job description, including: name and contact details of person offering Employment, correct legal name of the employer (legal name of the organisation), your name (as specified in your passport), your address, job title, location of employment, type of work, duties and responsibilities of the position, pay and conditions, how many hours you will work each week and other necessary information.
Source: Immigration New Zealand

Application Fee: NZD$356

This is the charge for Immigration New Zealand to process your application. Immigration New Zealand will8 not refund application costs if we decline your application.

A non-refundable immigration levy is charged and is included in the cost.

An International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) of NZD $35 is charged and is included in the cost.

Source: Immigration New Zealand

Things to note

  • If you have a current visitor visa, which you were granted as a guardian accompanying a student to New Zealand, you won’t be eligible for this visa.
  • If you’re an Entertainment industry worker in New Zealand for a specific purpose or event, you should apply for an ‘Entertainers Work Visa’ instead.
  • If you’re a Tour Guide from China, you should apply for a China Special Work Visainstead
  • You can’t include your partner or dependent children in your visa application, but they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.
Source: Immigration New Zealand