Canada temporary caregiver visa program offers the option to apply for permanent residence or temporary residence. If you are unable to meet the requirements for permanent residence as a caregiver, you may be able qualify for temporary residence. You can apply for Canada Caregiver Visa if you are within Canada or abroad.

Caregivers demand is growing in Canada as people do need help for their house, to look after patients, young children, disabled people and older adults.

To be eligible for this program one must be at least a high school graduate, of an age not less than 21 years, have good experience for this work and be able to communicate politely.

Moreover, the applicant is required to show a job offer as well.

The applicant qualified has the permission to change their employer too but you will be required to apply for a new work permit.

You can apply for the Canada caregiver program if you are 21 years or older and have a job offer as a caregiver. The Caregiver category includes (see additional information to know if any of these categories are still open):

  • Home Child Care Provider
  • Home Support Worker
  • Live-in Caregiver
  • Caring for Children
  • Caring for People with High Medical Needs
  • Interim Pathway for Caregivers
Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

In most cases, you may apply for a temporary work permit as a caregiver via the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) if any of the following applies:

  • You are already inside Canada and are eligible to apply for a work permit
  • You are outside Canada and your employer applied for an LMIA before the 18 of June 2019
  • You will be working in Quebec

Your employer must apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and have a positive decision before you can submit your application for Caregiver Visa to Canada.

Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Application Processing time: 6-12 months

The first step is for your employer to apply for a LMIA and receive a positive decision for your candidacy. Then you will need to apply to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

The documents needed to apply for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program can vary if you are applying in Canada or from outside.  Generally, you will need a:

  • Job-offer letter from employer
  • Medical clearance certificate
  • High school credentials, including secondary school diploma
  • Police clearance certificate
Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

The processing fees to apply for Canada caregiver immigration program is $155, same as a work permit.

Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Some of the caregiver programs have been closed from 2019, which include:

  • In-home caregiver: This program will no longer process new work permits if you are applying from outside of Canada, the TFWP, outside of Quebec or if you employer filled a LMIA after the 18th of June 2019.
  • Caring for children program: This program has been ended in June 18, 2019. However, if you have submitted an application for this stream before the closure date your application will be processed.
  • Caring for people with high medical needs program : This program has also ended on June 18, 2019 but if an application had been submitted before the closure date so it will be further processed.
  • Interim Pathway for caregivers : This program has ended on 8 October 2019 as well. Application submitted before the closure date will be processed.
Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada