You may support an adopted child from a country other than Canada through the intercountry adoption program. This is a two-step process rather than a one-step process.

First and foremost, you must complete the sponsorship application. Second, you’ll need to complete an application for the supported child’s permanent residency.

You will be required to apply for citizenship for the child you are fostering until they arrive in Canada’s territory.

The time it takes for an application to be processed varies by region. When you support a child for adoption, you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. The requirements for Qubecaredifferent and you must apply from Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements point of view.

Adoption laws in Canada and the adoption child’s home country can differ, which is why you must weigh all factors before beginning the process.

To sponsor a child from another country for adoption, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident (if you do not currently reside in Canada, you must do so when the adopted child becomes a permanent resident);
  • live in Canada; and
  • be at least 18 years old.
Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

All intercountry adoptions must be legal in both the child’s home country and the province or territory where you reside for immigration purposes in Canada.

  • terminate your adopted child’s legal relationship with his or her biological parents;
  • follow your province’s or territory’s criteria, which may include a home study;
  • establish a genuine parent–child relationship with the child;
  • be in the child’s best interests;
  • not be solely for the purpose of obtaining permanent resident status for the child in Canada.
Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

When you adopt a child from another country, you must go through two procedures: the adoption process and the immigration process.

The immigration process is divided into two parts:

  1. The sponsorship application and
  2. The child’s application for permanent residency.

You may apply for citizenship on your child’s behalf after he or she becomes a permanent resident in Canada. However, before the child can be given citizenship, the adoption must be finalized.

Learn more about applying for a grant of citizenship for your child.

Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Download and print the application package. It includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out.

Read the guide carefully before you complete the application forms. You may be able to sponsor a child as soon as you decide to adopt, if you know the country from which you plan to adopt. Please consult your provincial or territorial adoption authority before applying to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Sponsor an adopted child: $150

Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Prepare for arrival

Source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada