The Visa Subclass 462 is the Australia Work and Holiday Visa that allows people aged between 18 and 30 to have a prolonged vacation in Australia complemented by short-term employment permit for one year.

This is a temporary visa that lets individuals, aged between 18 to 30 years old, to have an extended holiday in Australia and work here to help fund their trip

With this visa you can

  • do short-term temporary work in Australia to manage your holiday expenses
  • study a short course for up to 4 months
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want

It is important to note that if your main purpose of your stay is to work, apply a work visa.  If the main purpose of your stay is to study, consider a Student visa.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

To be eligible for this visa, you must

  • have a passport from an eligible country
  • be 18 to 30 years old (inclusive)
  • apply from outside Australia
  • not be accompanied by dependent children
  • not have previously arrived Australia on a subclass 462 or 417 visa. If you arrived Australia on a subclass 462 visa, see the second Work and Holiday visa.
  • You must be a citizen of and hold a valid passport from one of these countries:
  • Argentina
  • Austria
  • Chile
  • China, People’s Republic of
  • Czech Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Indonesia
  • Israel
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Peru
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • Uruguay
  • United States of America
  • Vietnam
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Step 1 – Check Current Visa Update

Check if applications are still open for your country of passport.

You can organize health exams or appoint someone to help you with your application.

Step 2 – Gather your documents

To apply for this visa, you will be required to submit following documents:

  • Identity documents
  • Education
  • English language
  • Government support
  • Enough money for your stay and to leave
  • Character documents

Step 3 – Apply for the visa

Applicants with dependent children

You can’t apply online if you are the parent of a child under the age of 18. Submit a Working Holiday Maker Application Enquiry Form. Select ‘Dependent child’ in the Lodgment enquiry type field.

Apply on paper

This visa must be submitted online. Paper-based application will not be accepted except from a few nations.

If you cannot apply online, the Department may authorize you to lodge a paper-based visa application using this Form 1208 – Application for a Work and Holiday visa (344KB PDF).

Step 4 – After you apply

After you apply your visa, you might need to undergo medical test and biometric. You must not arrange any flight booking or accommodation unless you are granted.

Step 5 – Visa outcome

If we grant your visa, DHA will tell you:

  • your visa grant number
  • the date your visa starts
  • your visa conditions
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia
  • Form 1208
  • Details of Relatives Form
  • Application Fee
  • Check the method(s) of payment accepted for your country of residence: Methods of payment Find the fee for the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462): Visa Pricing Estimator
  • Information about your identity
  • One passport size photograph (this photograph must not be more than six months old)
  • Certified copy of your Birth Certificate
  • Certified copy of your passport identity page and each page that has a visa label and entry/exit stamps for any country.

*Important: Your original passport may be requested if additional checks are required

  • Certified copy of your National Identity Card
  • Certified copy of all pages of your Household Registration Book
  • Letter of Recommendation
  • Original Letter of Recommendation issued by the Department of Overseas Labour (DOLAB), Ministry of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs of Vietnam (MOLISA)
  • Evidence of your tertiary qualifications
  • Certified copy of your graduation certificate from a tertiary institution; or
  • A certified copy of your academic transcripts from a tertiary institution showing you have completed at least two (2) years of study
  • Evidence of your financial status, including:
  • Recent bank statements
  • Recent credit card statements showing available balance
  • Income from rental properties, shares or other income generating investments
  • Certified copies of any asset ownership certificates (such as house and land) you would like us to consider when assessing your visa application
  • If you are employed by a company that you do not own, please provide:
  • Details of your employment including; position, salary/wage, contact details of your current employer (address, telephone number and contact name)
  • If you are self-employed, please provide:
  • A certified copy of your business license and personal/business income tax statements for the previous financial year
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia