Transit visa subclass 771 is 1 of the very few visas that you could apply before you are immigration cleared and when you arrived in Australia without an entry visa. One can apply for a Transit visa, subclass 771, to depart the airport if your stop-over is more than 8 hours.

This Transit visa is basically for those who is passing through Australia on their way to another destination country, or for those whose outbound flight is suddenly delayed for more than 8 hours.

To be eligible for a Transit visa, you must be holding a complete onward flight to leave Australia for a third country within 8 hours of arriving. A copy of your visa of your destination country might be required while you apply for an Australian transit visa.

You can use your Transit visa subclass 771 to leave the airport or airport transit lounge. You can also use the Transit visa subclass 771 to visit family and friends, or for some sightseeing.

This visa will allow people to be in Australia for up to 72 hours before they must leave Australia. Maritime Crew visa holders can also use this transit visa to enter Australia by air to join a non-military ship.

With this visa, you can

  • enter Australia and stay for no longer than 72 hours before leaving by air or sea
  • enter Australia by air to join the crew of a non-military ship as a Maritime Crew visa (subclass 988) holder
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

To be eligible for transit visa, Subclass 771, you must

  • be outside Australia and have a confirmed booking to travel to another country within 72 hours of arriving in Australia and the correct documents to enter that country
  • if you are joining the crew of a non-military ship, be outside Australia and hold a Maritime Crew visa and the necessary crew documents
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Step 1 – Check if you need a transit visa

Make sure that you apply for transit visa well ahead of your travel. We may need more information from you and time to assess that information. You can check if you are eligible to transit without a visa

Step 2 – Gather your documents

To apply for the transit visa, you must provide

  • Identity documents
  • Other documents
  • Sea crew transit
  • Documents from the shipping agent
  • Copy of visa of your destination country if applicable.

Step 3 – Apply for the visa ​

Step 4 – After you apply

DHA will let you know when we they received your application. Normally you will not get an update on application within the standard processing time.

You can check if DHA need more information from you in ImmiAccount.

You must update as soon as possible if you made a mistake on your application. In that case, you may need to complete Form 1023 Notification of incorrect answers (168KB PDF).

Step 5 – Visa outcome

You must be outside Australia when DHA decides your visa application.

DHA will let you know the decision in writing.

If we grant your visa, we will tell you:

  • your visa grant number
  • the date your visa starts
  • your visa conditions, if applicable
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia
  • Form 876 obtained from
  • fully completed with ONE recent passport-size photograph of each applicant
  • passports Copies
  • Itinerary for your complete journey, which indicates a transit in Australia of 72 hours or less (including return journeys if applicable). Please note that a Transit visa is not appropriate for Tourism or any other purpose other than to take your next available flight out of Australia.
  • If you are joining a vessel as a crew member, the following details are to be supplied by your local or Australian shipping/handling agent
  • If you wish to appoint another person to communicate with us on your behalf, a completed and signed Form 956 or Form 956A
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

There is no fee for transit visa application.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

At the border

Completing an Incoming Passenger Card

All people coming in Australia must fill up an Incoming Passenger Card. Applicant will receive this onboard flight.

Leaving the airport faster

Department of Home Affairs has an automated process that uses facial recognition system and your ePassport. Applicant might be able to leave the airport faster if you use SmartGate.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia