The Student Guardian visa (Subclass 590) is a temporary visa for genuine guardians of student visa (subclass 500) holders.

With this visa guardians can come to Australia and provide care and financial support for the student holders or minor student visa holders who are under the age of 18. 

With this visa you can

  • come to Australia to provide financial support and care for a student visa holder who is under 18 years of age (or over 18 in exceptional situations)
  • care for more than one student
  • join English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) for less than 20 hours per week, or you can join any other training for no more than 3 months

This visa is applicable for guardians who need to Visit to support a child who holds a student visa. This is a temporary visa. The duration of the visa will be decided by DHA considering factors like student visa holder’s age, need and stay requirements.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

To be eligible to apply for the student guardian visa, you must

  • be the student’s parent, custodian or relative who is 21 years or older
  • have strong financial evidence that you can support yourself and the student during your stay
  • be able to afford costs like accommodation, welfare and other things.
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Step 1 – Determine who will act on your application

Anyone can help you fill out forms or give you general help with your application. But you must let DHA know if you want someone to:

Step 2 – Organize your documents

The student guardian visa requires a number of documents

Step 3 – Visa apply

You must apply for this visa online. You should apply for your visa at least 6 weeks before the student’s course starts. There is no guarantee that you will be granted this visa. Immigration officer will check everything and investigate about you and the documents you provided with your application. You will be contacted via email if the visa officer requires any additional documents. If you are granted, you will be notified through email.

Step 4 – After you apply

The Department of Home Affairs will let you know when they have received your application and documents.

Step 5 – Visa outcome

DHA will let you know in writing our decision about your visa application. If you are granted, you will be notified with the following things:

  • your visa grant number
  • the date your visa starts
  • your visa conditions
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia
  • Completed Form 157N – Student guardianship arrangements (291KB PDF).
  • Evidence you have enough money for your stay
  • You need to have enough money to pay for:
  • Travel for you and the student visa holder(s)
  • 12 months of course fees for the student visa holder(s)
  • 12 months specified annual living costs for you
  • 12 months of living costs for the student visa holder(s) and accompanying family members
  • school fees for school-age children who accompany you
  • Evidence of your Annual income
    Evidence you have genuine access to the money
  • Health insurance
  • Genuine temporary entrant documents:

Show proof that you are staying in Australia temporarily. Write a personal statement addressing the Genuine Temporary Entry requirement. If you are not comfortable writing it in English, you can write your statement in your own language and submit a translated copy with your application.  In your written statement, provide evidence or information about circumstances in your home country, ties to your home country or country of residence and incentive to return. This could include:

  • evidence of immediate family members in your home country
  • your visa or residence status in your home country and your right to return
  • proof of property or other significant assets in your home country
  • a return air ticket
  • a letter from your employer confirming your leave
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

The visa costs from AUD 630 for the main applicant.

There is also a charge for each dependent family member who lodge application with you.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia