The Visa Subclass 476, Australia’s Skilled Recognized Graduate Visa, is one of the most popular pathways that allows engineering graduates from recognized institutions to stay in Australia lawfully. The visa provides the right to work in Australia and be eligible for permanent residency or provisional skilled visa.

With this visa, you can:

  • live, study and work in Australia for up to 18 months
  • visit Australia frequently till the visa is valid
  • apply for permanent residency once you meet the criteria

This visa allows fresh engineering graduates to live, work or study in Australia for up to 18 months. The applicant must have finished a degree or higher qualification from a specified institution within the past 2 years, and be under 31 years of age.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Who could get this visa

  • You might be eligible for the Skilled Recognized Graduate visa (subclass 476) if:
  • you are 31 years of age or younger
  • you have finished an eligible engineering qualification from a recognized institution in the past two years
  • You must not have applied or hold the Skilled Recognized visa and Temporary Graduate Visasubclass 485
  • you meet English, health and character requirements
  • the primary visa holder of a subclass 476 or 485 visa

Eligible Engineering degrees include:

  • Chemical Engineering
  • Mechanical, production and plant engineering
  • Structural Engineering
  • Environmental Engineering
  • Electrical and Electronics Engineering
  • Civil Engineering
  • Electronics & Communication Engineering
  • Instrument & Control Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering

Eligible Institutes

All the institutions offering an Engineering qualification with Washington Accord accreditation are considered recognized.

If your institute is not recognized under Washington Accord, you must have a qualification from any of the following institutions.

Country Institution
Argentina Catholic University of Argentina
Brazil Federal University of Minas Gerais
Chile University of Chile Universidad Catolica del Norte Catholic University of Chile -Antofagasta University of Concepcion
Finland HUT, Helsinki
Germany Technical University of Berlin Technical University of Clausthal University of Hannover RWTH, Aachen TU Bergakademie Freiberg
Hungary University of Miskolc
India Indian Institute of Science—Bangalore Anna University—Chennai Indian School of Mines—Dhanbad Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur Banaras Hindu University—Varanasi
Iran Amir Kabir University of Technology University of Tehran
PRC China Beijing Normal University Beijing Petroleum University Beijing University of Chemical Technology Beijing University of Technology (formerly Beijing Polytechnic University) China University of Mining & Technology—Beijing Guangzhou University Shanghai University of Engineering Science Shanghai Jiaotong University Tongji University Tsinghua University University of Science and Technology—Beijing
Philippines Wroclaw University of Technology
Slovakia TU Kosice
Sweden Lulea University of Technology
Tanzania University of Dar es Salaam
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Step 1 – Check your visa conditions

If you have a ‘No further stay’ condition is found on your visa, you are unable to lodge an application, except in extremely limited circumstances. If you have the ‘No further stay’ condition but want to apply for this visa, you must try to apply for “No Further Stay Waiver” using Form 1447 No Further Stay waiver (447KB PDF).

Step 2 – Arrange your documents

Gather documents to prove your qualification(s), English language ability, identity and relationships. You will also need to provide documents for your partner and any dependent children.

Step 3 – Apply for the visa

You must lodge your application online in ImmiAccount. At the time of application, you and anyone included in your visa application can be in or outside Australia.

Step 4 – After you apply

Check your ImmiAccount to see if the visa officer is asking for additional documents or not. You may also need to do medical and biometric when you receive request letters.

If you have given any wrong information in your visa application then you must inform the visa offier immediately using Form 1023 Notification of incorrect answers (168KB PDF) 

Step 5 – Visa Grant

You will be sent notification in your ImmiAccount about your visa grant or refusal. If you are granted then you will be issued a visa grant letter with the following information::

  • your visa grant number
  • the date your visa starts
  • your visa conditions
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia
  • Identity documents- Your Passport, Birth Certificate, National ID, Driver License
  • Qualification document – Copies of your academic certificates and Transcripts
  • Evidence of English language – You must provide IELTS, TOEFL IBT, PTE or other accepted English Test result to prove your language proficiency
  • You don’t need to provide these results if you hold a valid passport from:
  • the United Kingdom
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • the United States
  • the Republic of Ireland
  • Character documents
  • Partner documents
  • Documents of accompanying dependents under 18 documents

You might need to provide additional documents according to checklist provided in your ImmiAccount

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Processing Time

  • 75% of applications: 12 months
  • 90% of applications: 18 months
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia