If you are located in a foreign country, and wishing to marry an Australian citizen, or a permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen, you can lodge a prospective marriage visa (Subclass 300) to get permanent residency in Australia.

This temporary visa is for prospective spouse of an eligible Australian citizen or a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. This visa will allow the applicant to enter Australia and get married.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Both you and your fiancé must meet a set of relationship criteria to apply for this temporary visa:

  • You, as an applicant, must live outside Australia
  • You must know each other and show evidence of genuine relationship.
  • You must meet each other physically since turning to 18

After getting a subclass 300 visa, you’ll have 9 months to get married and to lodge a spouse visa, i.e. subclass 820 visa.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

The subclass 300 prospective marriage visa application must be submitted when you are in your native country, and outside Australia at the time of grant. The grant of visa subclass 300 will give you access to enter Australia to get married. You will be given 9 months to get married with your Australian partner.

The prospective marriage visa pathway is, therefore, a 3-stage process to permanent residence, comprising the following steps:

Step 1: You will lodge a prospective marriage subclass 300 visa application via online IimmiAccount, which, if approved, will permit you to travel to and live in Australia for a period of up to 9 months to get married with your Australian partner.

Step 2: Once you have successfully married your partner (within the 9-month visa period), you are then likely to lodge a combined application for an onshore partner visa subclass 820 and 801.

Step 3: Two years after the lodgment of your combined subclass 820/801 visa application, the Department will evaluate whether you remain to fulfil the requirements for a grant of the subclass 801 visa, with a positive application resulting in a grant of permanent residence in Australia.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia
  • Application Forms
  • Form 47SP Application for migration to Australia by a partner
  • Form 40SP Sponsorship for a partner to migrate to Australia
  • Form 80 – Character Assessment
  • Passport
  • Passport-sized photos (35X45mm)
  • Birth certificate
  • National identity card
  • Copy of a name change (if applicable)
  • marriage or relationship registrations
  • Previous relationship documents if applicable
  • Evidence that your sponsor is an Australian PR or citizen or an eligible citizen of NZ
  • Evidence of relationship to include: photographs, joint bank account statement, relationship statement, statutory declarations and joint property documents.
  • Statement of relationship about how you two met, got married and what are your plans in Australia.
  • Form 80 – Character Assessment of Applicant (also required for accompanying dependent children aged 16 years and over)
  • Provide 2 of Form 888 – Statutory declaration by a supporting witness in relation to a Partner or Prospective Marriage visa application (241KB PDF)..
  • Military service records or discharge papers if you served in the armed forces of any country.
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

From AUD 7,715

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

The visa subclass 300 is not very easy to get because you are not married to your Australian partner. Therefore, you have to prove the validity of your relationship and confirmation of getting married after you reach Australia. Proving relationship is not easy if you don’t have sufficient documents like photos, social media activities, electronic communications, and other. your parents’ awareness about your relationship is also very important as immigration officer will investigate a number of things before issuing the visa.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia