The contributory parent visa is a permanent residence visa that lets a parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident of Australia or eligible New Zealand citizen move to Australia.

With this visa you can

  • Stay in Australia permanently
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enroll in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • Sponsor eligible family members to come to Australia
  • Travel to and enter Australia for 5 years
  • Apply for Australian citizenship and passport, if eligible

This visa is for a parent of an Australian PR or citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen who wants to live in Australia with permanent residency.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

To be eligible, you must

  • pass balance of family test
  • have an eligible child who is an Australian citizen, Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • have an Assurance of Support, unless you are applying for the Retirement Pathway
  • not have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa
  • show your employment documents including your work, business or retirement documents.
  • Pass health and character requirements.
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Step 1 – Before you apply

Check your validity of your passport. You must understand the whole process like application process, eligibility of sponsor, assurance of support (AoS) and if you are holding 173 visa.

Step 2 – Gather your documents

Gather all your documents, including for any partner or dependents who might be applying with you as dependent family members. You will also need your sponsor documents.

Sponsor documents: Your visa application must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor, unless you are applying as a retiree. Your sponsor must complete Form 40 Sponsorship for migration to Australia (447KB PDF).

Balance of family documents: Show us that you meet the balance-of-family test by giving us:

  • evidence of how you are closely related to each child
  • evidence of each child’s country of permanent residence
  • evidence that your child should not be included in the balance-of-family test (for example, their death certificate)

Assurance of Support documents: Provide an assurance of support when DHA will ask for it.

Step 3 – Apply for the visa

You must make a paper-based application. You may not be able to lodge an online application for this visa subclass.

Step 4 – After you apply

DHA will let you know when they have received your application and all relevant papers. There may be other things you need to understand and might have to do.

Step 5 – Visa outcome ​

If you applied as a retiree, or you hold or held a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173), or a substituted Visitor visa (subclass 600) before lodging your application, you can be in or outside Australia when we make a decision on your application.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

The visa subclass 143 visa fee must be paid in installments. Applicant has to pay an initial fee during submitting the visa application and rest of the fees to be paid when DHA officer will ask for VAC payments.

Application Fee – Main Applicant (at time of application)*

Dependent Application Fee (Spouse)*



2nd Visa Application Charge (at time of decision)* Main Applicant

2nd Visa Application Charge (at time of decision)* Spouse

$43,600 + $43,600

Assurance of Support (AoS)

Additionally there is an AoS which is payable toward time of decision. For two applicants this is currently $14,000. The bond is refunded ten years after you enter Australia as the holder of the contributory parent visa, less any debts owed to the Australian government.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia