People who visit Australia will need some sort of entry permission. Some people need to apply for a regular visitor visa while others can only get an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA).

The ETA is faster and easier to obtain. The application is entirely online, documents requirements are less than other visitor visas, and you will have it within 24 hours. But, it is only available to citizens from selected countries.

Apply for the Electronic Travel Authority and enjoy the privilege of touring to Australia as many times or stay up to three months per visit for up to 1 year.

The Electronic Travel Authority (visa subclass 601) is an electronic travel visa that is connected to an applicant’s current passport and intended only for tourism and business visitor purposes.

Visit Australia as often as you wish in a 1 year period. You can stay up to 3 months each time you enter Australia.

With this visa you can travel to Australia:

  • as a tourist – for example, to cruise or have a holiday
  • to visit family or friends
  • as a business visitor

With this visa you can study up to 3 months but the main purpose of ETA is visiting Australia for tourism and business purposes.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

In order to get this visa, you must be holding a passport from one of the following countries:

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong (SAR of China)
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Republic of San Marino
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • The Netherlands
  • United Kingdom—British Citizen
  • United Kingdom—British National (Overseas)
  • United States
  • Vatican City
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

You can apply for your ETA through the official website of the Australian government. You will have to:

  1. Go to the ETA website.
  2. Show your current residence and purpose of visit (tourism or business).
  3. Provide your passport details and personal data.
  4. Pay the ETA application fee.
  5. Give your email address and contact number, so the concerned authority may contact you about the outcome of your application.

If your ETA application is granted, you will get an email along with your visa grant number, the duration of your ETA, and the date from which it starts.

Note: a travel agency or a visa application agency can lodge your ETA application. The ETA application must be lodged online using the ImmiAccount portal.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

To submit an ETA, you will just need a passport (which must have validity for at least another six months), a national ID Card, and a credit/debit card to pay for the ETA application gov. fee.

If you notice that your application shows “further processing” status, then you will have to submit additional documents.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

There is not visa application fees for ETA but there is an online application service charge of AUD 20

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

If you receive an ETA, you can visit Australia multiple times and stay there a maximum of 3 months per visit. An Australian ETA is valid for 1 year, during which time you can enter Australia as many times as you want and stay for up to three months per trip. If you would like to extend your stay in Australia without departing from the country, you will be required to visit the nearest Australian Immigration Office and appeal for an ETA (Visa 601) extension. You will have to do so at least two weeks before your current ETA visa go expired.

If you are not in Australia and your ETA has expired or is about to expire, you will have to reapply for a new one.

During this time, you can:

  • Travel in Australia as a tourist.
  • Meet family and friends.
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia