This temporary visa that allows a parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen stay temporarily in Australia. With this visa, an individual can live in Australia for up to 2 years, work and study in Australia, enroll in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare and apply for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143). With this visa, the visa holder cannot avail any sort of government support.

If your visa is approved and wish to stay in Australia indefinitely, you can then apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).

Applying for this temporary subclass 173 visa before the permanent subclass 143 visa lets you spread the costs of your migration over a number of years.

Apply for a Contributory Parent (subclass 143) visa

You can spread the cost of the permanent visa over a number of years by applying in 2 steps:

  • first, apply for the temporary Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa, then
  • apply for the permanent Contributory Parent (subclass 143) visa

This visa is for parents younger than 65 years of age who want to stay in Australia temporarily by the sponsorship of his or her children in Australia.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

To be eligible must

  • be sponsored by a child who is an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen;
  • meet the balance of family test;
  • meet all visa conditions and understand Australian immigration law
  • meet health and character requirements
  • not have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Step 1 – Check visa eligibility and requirements

Visa subclass 173 requires you to have a child who has Australian status and who is able to sponsor you as parent. You must understand each requirements of this visa including assurance of Support (AoS).

Step 2 – Gather your documents

Gather all your documents for visa application forms. You will also need your sponsor documents.

You must provide:

  • Identity documents
  • Sponsor documents
  • Balance-of-family documents
  • Character documents
  • Dependents under 18 documents
  • Dependents over 18 documents
  • Partner documents
  • Photographs

Step 3 – Apply for the visa

Like other parent visas, you must apply for this visa on paper. You must fill up all required forms and attached all your documents and send mail to parent visa processing office in Australia.

You are unable to submit your application if you have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (subclass 870) visa.

Apply on paper

Complete Form 47PA Application for a parent to migrate to Australia (693KB PDF).

Your sponsor must also complete:

Form 40 Sponsorship for migration to Australia (447KB PDF).

Complete the form in English.

You must make the first instalment at the time of application submission or lodgment. For payment options see how to pay.

This visa cannot be submitted in person. You can send your application by courier to the Parent Visa Processing office located in Perth. You must include all required documents, forms and proof of payment of application charge with your application.

If you have an existing Parent visa application

If you have submitted for a different Parent visa but the DHA has not made a decision on that application, you must withdraw that application at the same time that you submit this visa.

Also complete Part B of Form 47PA Application for a parent to migrate to Australia (693KB PDF). 

Step 4 – After you apply

The DHA will let you know when they have received your application and documents. There may be other things you need to consider and might have to do.

Step 5 – Visa outcome

You can be in or outside Australia when the immigration department will make a decision on your application. You won’t be getting any visa sticker on your passport. DHA will issue you only an electronic copy of visa grant letter. Your passport will automatically be linked with the Australian visa portal.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

From AUD 31,930

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia