The visa subclass 101 will allow a child to immigrate to Australia as a permanent resident, study and access to Medicare and apply for Australian citizenship and passport.

This visa lets a child outside Australia migrate to Australia to live with parents.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

To be eligible for this visa, the child must:

  • be a dependent child of a parent who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • be under 18 years, a full-time learner aged over 18 and under 25 and financially dependent on the parent, or over 18 and unable to work due to a disability
  • be unmarried and dependent on the parent
  • be living outside Australia when the application is made

Note: The Department is not asking Family visa applicants to travel offshore at this time.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Step 1 – Before you apply

Check the child’s passport is valid.

Step 2 – Gather all documents

Documents play a vital role in all types of visa applications. In case of child visa, it is very important to provide all required documents accordingly DHA checklist.

Provide documents in support of the visa application.

  • Identity documents
  • Photographs
  • Travel documents
  • Applicant circumstances documents
  • Depending on the child’s situation, we might require other documents.
  • Child’s relationship to the parent
  • Provide evidence the child is related to the parent, such as:
  • a birth certificate
  • a marriage certificate
  • an adoption certificate
  • a family status certificate or family book, if officially issued and maintained
  • Financial documents

If the child is 18+ at the time of application lodgment, submit evidence they are dependent on their parent for basic needs such as food, shelter and clothing, and how long this support has been provided to the child. Evidence could include:

  • bank statements
  • fund transfers
  • payment receipts
  • Dependents under 18 documents
  • Character documents

Step 3 – Apply for the visa

You must apply for this visa on paper.

You must complete the following DHA forms and send them together by post (with correct prepaid postage) or by courier to the Child and Other Family Processing Centre in Perth.

You must pay the visa fee before you post your application. See how to pay.

If you send your visa application to another office of Department of Home Affairs instead of the designated office, then your visa application will not be processed.

By post (with correct prepaid postage):

Department of Home Affairs
Child and Other Family Processing Centre
Locked Bag 7

By courier:

Department of Home Affairs
Child and Other Family Processing Centre
Wellington Central
836 Wellington Street

Step 4 – After you apply

DHA will let the visa applicant know when they have received the application.

Step 5 – Visa outcome

The child can be inside or outside Australia when we make our decision.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Documents of the applicant:

  • Form 47CH – Application for Migration to Australia by a child
  • Form 40CH – Sponsorship for a child to migrate to Australia
  • Form 47A – Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over
  • A Copy of the passport
  • 1 passport sized photo (35X45mm)
  • Government issued birth certificate
  • For applicants 18 years and over:  evidence that you are financially dependent on your sponsor for your basic needs of food, shelter and clothing and how long this support has been provided, evidence of your, enrolment and active participation in a post-secondary course of study and evidence of all studies undertaken since turning 18 years of age
  • If the 18+ year old child is not a full time student, a written explanation of why they are not studying

Sponsor’s documents

  • Evidence that the child’s sponsor is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • A recent passport-sized photograph of the sponsor (35X45mm)
  • If the applicant is under 18 years of age:
  • Australian police Clearance

Other required forms and documents must be submitted.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

From AUD 2,665

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

As a newly arrived resident the child might have to wait somedays to get access to certain Australian Government benefits. Learn more about newly arrived residents’ waiting periods from Services Australia.

Processing times –

  • 75% of applications: 18 months
  • 90% of applications: 25 months
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia