The visa subclass 836, Onshore Carer Visa, allows individuals to live in Australia permanently and provide assistance to their relatives who is not capable of receiving required support from any other relative or from nursing, welfare, hospital, or community services in Australia and has one of following:

  • has a long term clinical condition and are unable to do daily activities OR
  • requires practical support in order to take care of their family member suffering from a major medical issue

For subclass 836, the visa applicants must be living in Australia at the time of lodging an application and when the visa is finalised.

With this visa one can

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible

This permanent residence visa lets you stay in Australia permanently in order to care for someone with a long-term medical condition who has no realistic access to care options in Australia.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

There are some basic eligibility requirements for this visa.

  • You must be in Australia at the time of visa lodgment and visa grant
  • You must be a carer for your relative or a member of their family who has no reasonable access to care in Australia
  • You must be sponsored by your relative or their spouse or de facto partner for your first 2 years in Australia
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

Step 1 – Organise a Bupa medical certificate

Your relative or their family member must be evaluated by Australian Bupa Medical Visa Services. Bupa will issue a certificate which must include a statement that the person has a medical condition and needs a certain amount of care.

We won’t accept the visa application unless we have evidence this process has at least begun.

Step 2 – Apply for the visa

You must make a paper based application for this visa. You must be in Australia at the time of visa lodgment.

Complete and submit with your other documents Form 47OF Application for migration to Australia by other family members (622KB PDF).

The forms must be completed in English language.

You must pay for the visa application before it is submitted using the online portal payment function in ImmiAccount. Attach evidence of payment with your application. For other payment options you can see how to pay.

This Visa Application can’t be submitted in person. Send the application by post or courier to the Child and Other Family Processing Centre in Perth at the address on the form. Include all required documents and forms with your application.

Step 3 – After you apply

DHA will let you know when they have received your application. There are other things you need to know and might have to do.

If you did not provide the Bupa medical certificate when you applied, you should give it to DHA within 3 months of visa lodgement. Without a medical certificate from Bupa, you will not be able to get granted

Step 4 – Visa outcome

The department of Home Affairs will let you know the following information through the visa grant letter:

  • your visa grant number
  • the date your visa starts
  • the date you must enter Australia by
  • your visa conditions
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia
  • Color copies of the pages of your current passport showing photo, personal details, and passport issue and expiry dates.
  • national identity card,
  • proof of change of name, if applicable
  • a marriage or divorce certificate
  • Birth Certificate
  • Photograph (35X45mm)
  • Bupa medical certificate – Provide a medical certificate from Bupa Medical Visa Servicesthat includes a statement that your relative or their family member has a medical condition that requires care. If you have begun the assessment process but have not yet been assessed, give us a letter from Bupa Medical Visa Services confirming this.
  • Character documents
  • You must provide other documents as per the government checklist.
Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

From AUD 3,890

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia

You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date Australian Immigration grants this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.

Source: Department of Home Affairs, Australia