The Canada Extension Visa can be granted to you in case of border closures, disasters, global pandemics or special situations. Extending your stay in Canada means you will need to apply for a visitor record. This gives you a visitor status and your stay gets extended. It is however necessary that you apply for the extension before the expiry date of your visit visa/temporary visa.
You can extend you visit visa as well as your student visa but the required documents for each is different.
For student visa holders, they need to apply at least 30 days before their student visa expires. Visitors need to apply for a visitor record which is a document permitting you a longer stay and has the new date on which you will be leaving Canada.
A visitor visa and a visit record differ. The visitor record is not a visa in any case. The process is easier if you plan to apply earlier so you won’t have to worry about any delays in the process.
Who Is It For
A visitor record is for people who want to
• extend their stay in Canada as a visitor
• change their permit type from
* a study permit to a visitor record
* a work permit to a visitor record
It doesn’t matter if you entered Canada using a visitor visa, electronic travel authorization (eTA) or another document. If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor, you need a visitor record.
How to Qualify
If you need to get your visa extended, here are some requirements you will need to fulfill:
- Before you apply to extend your study permit, make sure your school is on the designated learning institution list (DLI).
- If your school is no longer on the DLI list,you can keep studying until your current permit expires. When you need to extend your study permit, you’ll need to enroll at a DLI.
To apply online, you’ll need:
- a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents, and
- a valid credit or debit card.
- Even if you apply online, you should read the instruction guidebefore you complete your application. The guide will explain how to complete each field on the form.
- Before you can upload your forms, you must answer some questions. We use your answers to create a personalized document checklist for you. To apply for a visitor record, you must provide these answers in the online tool:
- For the first question “What would you like to do in Canada?”, select “Visit.”
- When asked “What is your current country/territory of residence?”, select “Canada.”
- pay your fees
- submit your application
- check your status
The processing time is usually 192 days. This is why it is important to apply way before your visa expires.
Create your online account or sign in. Follow these steps:
- pay your fees.
- submit your Canada Visa Extension application.
- check your status.
For Canada Student Visa Extension
Had completed prerequisite courses/programs (eg, ELIP), and would like to change the employment remarks on the study permit. Need to apply for a co-op work permit at the same time. Change names, passport information on the study permit.
- A valid passport.
- A valid study permit.
- Recent Canadian passport-size photo.
For Canada Visitor Visa Extension
A visitor record
- is a document that gives you status as a visitor in Canada and allows you to stay longer
- includes a new expiry date
- that’s the new date that you must leave Canada by
The fees for Canada Extension Visa for Students and Visitors starts From $100
You must apply for a visitor record before your current status expires. If you’re not sure when your status expires, find out how long you can stay in Canada.
If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you should apply at least 30 days before your status expires.
For the steps to apply, see How to apply to extend your stay as a visitor.
Study and work permit holders
If your visitor visa expired and you need to leave and return to Canada, you need to apply for a new visitor visa (not a visitor record).