A study permit is for foreign students who want to study in Canada and have an acceptance letter from their institution. Canada study permit allows you to stay in the country for a specific time period until you complete your studies in Canada.
You can also leave Canada and return during your study period but you must have your study permit and other documents when returning.
Moreover, you cannot extend your study permit beyond your passports expiry date.
Students under study permit can also work in Canada but not for more than 20 hours in a week but if they are on their summer or winter break, only then they are allowed to work for more than 20 hours. Exceeding 20 hours of work during a week while classes are in session can result in your deportation.
However, you do not need a study permit if your study program is for 6 months or less. Check our complete guide to studying in Canada, including information about study permit fees, application and processing requirements, and how to apply.
Who Is It For
The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.
Source: Study Permit & Visas in Canada
How to Qualify?
Canada Study Permit Eligibility requirements:
• are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
• prove you have enough money to pay for your: …
• obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)
• are in good health and get a medical exam (if required)
Before you apply for study permit, you need:
- an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI)
- a valid passport or travel document
- proof you can support yourself, and any family members who come with you, while you’re in Canada
Documents needed are:
• Acceptance letter from the institute
• Proof of income/ bank balance statement
Source: Apply For Canada Study Permit
You do not need a Canadian study permit if your course or program lasts six months or less. Applying for a study permit costs CA$150 (~US$114). Click here to read more about how to get a Canadian student visa. Fees to apply to universities in Canada will vary depending on the university and your country of origin.
Source: Canada Study Permit Application