Table of Contents
You can build and buy a farm in Alberta if you have the financial capital to do so and the experience to manage it.
Candidates must first demonstrate their proposal and have it approved by Alberta Agriculture and Forestry before applying for the Alberta PNP Self-Employed Farmer Stream.
The next move is for candidates who have had their business plan approved by Alberta Agriculture and Forestry to receive a Ministerial Recommendation Letter.
If you want to apply to the AINP, you must have these papers. Aside from that, you should be able to demonstrate that you will be able to support yourself in Canada. You’ll need a net worth of at least $500,000. You will also need to demonstrate that you have the financial means to spend more than the minimum amount you have shown.
Who is it for
This stream is for individuals who have the financial resources and farm management experience to purchase and establish a farm in Alberta.
How to Qualify
Applicants to the Self-Employed Farmer stream must meet the following criteria at the time their application is mailed to the AINP and at the time of assessment by the AINP.
- Farm management skills
- Sufficient financial resources
- Primary production investment
You may only have one Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) application in process at any time. Here is how the application is processed.
- Verify your eligibility
- Fill the forms
- Pay the fee
- Mail application
- Receive decision
- Receive approval letter
The Document Needed
Download and use the AINP Self-Employed Farmer Stream Document Checklist (PDF, 76 KB) to complete your application. The checklist lists all the forms required for your application.
You must submit the following forms with original signatures:
- AINP 004: Self-Employed Farmer Application (PDF, 105 KB)
- Use of a Representative form (if applicable) (PDF, 86 KB)
You must complete and provide copies of the following Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) forms:
- IMM 0008 Generic Application Form for Canada (PDF, 645 KB)
- IMM 0008 Schedule 4: Economic Classes: Provincial Nominees (PDF, 612 KB)
- IMM 0008 Schedule 4A: Economic Classes: Business Nominees (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- IMM 0008DEP Additional Dependents/Declaration Form (PDF, 434 KB)
- Complete this form only if you have more than 5 dependents
These forms must be completed by every adult member of the family:
- IMM 5669 Schedule A: Background/Declaration (PDF, 776 KB)
- IMM 5406 Additional Family Information (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- IMM 5476 Use of a Representative (if applicable) (PDF, 648 KB)
For help in filling out the forms, read the IRCC Guide for Provincial Nominees.
If an application has been submitted, the AINP application fee is non-refundable. Application fee refund requests will not be accepted. Whether or not a nomination certificate is given, the application fee covers the expense of processing the application. There is no assurance that a nomination certificate will be given to you.
Pay the application fees of $500
Forms and documents
- AINP 004: Self-Employed Farmer Application (PDF, 131 KB)
- AINP Change of Contact and Address Information form (PDF, 384 KB)
- AINP Self-Employed Farmer Stream Document Checklist (PDF, 307 KB)
- Request for Reconsideration form (PDF, 535 KB)
- Request to Add or Remove Family Member(s) (PDF, 317 KB)
- Use of Representative form (PDF, 86 KB)