Table of Contents
Australian Training Visa, Subclass 407, allows people to participate in training to improve their expertise for their job, study or professional development.
The nomination criteria is different depending on the purpose or type of training.
There are 3 types of occupational training covered by this visa:
- Occupational training required for registration
- Occupational training to improve skills in an eligible occupation
- Occupational training for capacity building overseas. This includes overseas qualification, government support or professional.
Nomination is the stage where the sponsor gives details about the nominee, the purpose or type of training and how and where the training will be provided.
Who is it for
This visa is for individuals who wish to participate in workplace-based occupational training activities to increase skills for your job, study, field of expertise or in a professional development training program in Australia.
How to qualify
To be eligible for the program, you must
- be sponsored
- be nominated (unless your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)
- be appropriately invited (if your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)
Step 1 – Check your sponsor
Before you lodge your application, you have to make sure your sponsoring employer has applied to be or has been approved as a sponsor. The sponsoring employer must also have lodged a nomination application to Department of Home Affairs.
You must not arrange travel until you receive your visa grant.
Step 2 – Gather your documents
Arrange all required documents to prove your personal identity and prove that you have a sponsor, nomination or government invitation, financial support and insurance coverage. All your documents must be well organized so that you can upload online.
Step 3 – Apply for the visa
You must apply for this visa online though the ImmiAccount
- Create an account or log in to ImmiAccount
- Attach documents, including your sponsor’s documents
- Have family applications processed together. Each family member must still have their application charge paid and documents attached to their application
- Pay the application charge. We will not process your application until you pay the charge.
Step 4 – After you apply
Check your ImmiAccount to see if the visa officer is asking for additional documents or not. You may also need to do medical and biometric when you receive request letters.
The document needed
- Government issued national identity card
- Evidence of change of name, if any
- Marriage certificate
- Documents of divorce, if applicable
- A sponsor approval letter or receipt for submission of the sponsorship application
- Your sponsor’s nomination approval letter
- A written declaration from the sponsor that they will meet the sponsorship requirements for you and all dependent family members included in your application
- Form 1283 Acknowledgement of unpaid placement—visa applicant (131KB PDF)
- Form 1284 Acknowledgement of unpaid placement—sponsor (136KB PDF)
- Bank statements and salary account statements
- A letter from your financial institution stating your financial position
- Employment contracts or letter of appointment
- Documents showing allowances, accommodation and stipends from your sponsor while you are in Australia
- If you are currently or were previously an AusAID or Foreign Affairs supported student provide a copy of the letter of support from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Provide evidence that you have functional Englishlanguage skills to undertake the training programme. You do not need to provide these results if you hold a valid passport from:
- the United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- the United States
- the Republic of Ireland
- Updated Resume
- Your documents of Professional Development
- If you are sponsored by an Australian Commonwealth Government agency, provide a copy of the invitation to participate in the training.
- If you are not sponsored by an Australian Commonwealth Government agency, provide a copy of the nomination approval letter or receipt for submitting the nomination application.
- Provide a statement from your sponsor confirming they are satisfied:
- that you are doing the professional development training specified in the application
- that you have relevant managerial or other professional skills and work experience to participate in the program
- Provide a signed letter on company letterhead from your current manager detailing your current position and duties.