Table of Contents
A short stay Temporary visa – Highly Specialized visa stream (subclass 400) is for individuals who are interested to travel to Australia to do short-term, highly specialized, work or activity at the invitation of an Australian employer. This visa allows the applicant to stay up to three months to six months or more depending on situations.
With this visa you can:
- work in a highly specialized job
- bring your dependent family members with you in Australia, but they will not be able to work or study in Australia, except to do a language training program
Who is it for
This visa is suitable for those who want to do short-term, highly specialized work in Australia. It is appropriate if you have specialized skills, knowledge or capability not generally available in Australia.
How to qualify
- have highly specialized skills, knowledge or experience that can help Australian business and can’t reasonably be found in Australia
- only do the work or activities for which your visa was granted
Step 1 – Before you apply
Determine if you want someone to act on your behalf. Anyone can assist you with the application or give you general information. But you must let DHA know if you want someone to:
Step 2 – Organize your documents
Gather documents to prove your identity and show you have your employer’s support, financial support and recommend health insurance. You will need to prepare them to submit online.
Step 3 – Apply for the visa
You must lodge your application online in ImmiAccount. At the time of application, you and anyone included in your visa application must be outside Australia.
To apply online, you may follow these simple steps:
- Create an account or login to ImmiAccount
- Attach documents
- Have family applications processed together
- Pay the application fee
Note the transaction reference number (TRN)
Step 4 – After you apply
You can track and manage your application through ImmiAccount. If you have made any error in your application, you must inform the Department of Home Affairs and complete Form 1023 Notification of incorrect answers (168KB PDF) and attach it in ImmiAccount.
You must go through Medical exam and biometric when you receive specifics notifications and instructions in your ImmiAccount
The document needed
- You passport and all other identity documents
- Character certificates
- Evidence of English skills, if applicable
- Documents of dependent family members
- Evidence of your work in Australia
- You should provide a letter of invitation, job offer, employment contract or other document from an Australian employer confirming they have hired you to do a job in Australia showing:
- particulars of your job position, responsibilities, or project of work you will undertake
- work duration
- a statement on why you are being hired for the work
- details of support for your visa application
- your employment terms and conditions and payments
- Financial documents, to prove that you can support yourself and any family you bring to Australia, provide:
- evidence of funds (employment contract, bank statements), or
- a letter from your bank or financial institution stating your financial position
You might be requested to provide more information. You must check your ImmiAccount on regular basis to see new notifications or any documents requested or not.
The visa officer can also consider allowances, housing and other supports from your employer.
AUD 315 (except in limited circumstances)
This is a temporary visa stream. You can stay in Australia for up to 6 months, depending on the circumstances.
You must come to Australia within 6 months of the date the visa is granted, or a lesser period indicated by the Minister. DHA will let you know in your visa grant letter. You will be able to know your total stay period, the date of first entry and the date you must not arrive after. There might be more details like how to make any change in your visa, how you can cancel your visa application and how you can appoint someone to act on your behalf.