Table of Contents
There are two types of onshore Partner Visas: Subclass 820 and Subclass 801. The Visa Subclass 820 will allow you to live in Australia temporarily. The Visa Subclass 820 visa is the first step towards a permanent residency Visa (Subclass 801). You may apply for both visas at the same time and pay only one application charge. Files are processed in two stages, about two years apart.
With this visa you can
- live and work in Australia indefinitely (You must be granted visa subclass 801)
- Study in Australia
- Enrol in Australian Medicare
- Include dependent children in your application
Who is it for
These two visas let the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily and permanently
To satisfy criteria for partner visas your relationship should to be genuine and continuing; the couple must show evidence that they have a long term commitment! Australian Partner visas are available to both opposite sex and same sex couples.
How to qualify
To be eligible for visa subclass 820, you must
- be in a genuine relationship with your spouse or de facto partner who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when we decide your temporary visa application. Family who apply with you must also be in Australia
Step 1: Prepare Your Documents
You must provide all required documents with your application to prove the claims you make. You must gather all documents in your computer as you will be asked to upload documents one by one.
Step 2: Lodge Your Application
The Partner Visa (Subclasses 820 and 801) visa may be lodged online through ImmiAccount, by post, or in person. At the time of visa lodgment, you must have all documents ready as well as the visa application fee, which can be paid by credit card.
Step 3: Wait for a decision
You must know that there is a processing time for each visa application. For subclass 820, 75% of applications are processed in 20 months and 90% of applications are processed in 27 months. Visa officer might send you request checklist to provide additional documents from you or sponsor.
Step 4: Receive your visa and start living in Australia
Once your application is approved, you will receive your visa and can start work in Australia.
The document needed
- Form 80, filled up by the applicant
- Form 888
- Applicant’s passport
- Birth Certificate
- Academic documents
- Recently taken Photographs
- Marriage certificate
- Police Clearance
Evidence of your marriage as a genuine and ongoing, please submit the followings:
- Engagement pictures
- Wedding invitation cards
- Receipts of other shopping, e.g. jewelry, cloths, shoes, cosmetics, luggage, etc.
- Pictures that you have been out for shopping with the spouse or his/her family
- Any restaurant bills that you have eaten with the spouse or his/her family
- Receipts of sweet purchase for wedding
- Wedding pictures
- Reception Program pictures
- Ticket of your travel for honeymoon
- Hotel receipt from honeymoon trip
- Your living arrangement (home rent/address proof)
- Joint Bank account / Bank account nominee papers or any other financial involvements between applicant and sponsor
- Letters, email, phone card, gifts that was exchanged between both of you
- Any other documents that you think proof your relation with the sponsor
Statement from the applicant on
- How the relationship developed
- the formalization process and programs
At least two statutory declarations Form 888 by the Supporting Witness, preferably from individuals who are Australian citizens or permanent residents and who have personal knowledge of your spouse relationship and support your claim that the relationship is genuine and continuing.
Sponsor must satisfy the visa officer by providing all identity documents, evidence of income, and evidence of address and a number of documents accordingly DHA visa checklist.
Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) holders: AUD 1,310 for the main applicant. If you previously held a Prospective Marriage visa but didn’t apply for the subclass 820 and 801 visas before that visa expired: AUD 1,660.
Dependent Child visa (subclass 445) holders: nil.
Most other applicants: AUD7,850 for the main applicant.
The cost covers this Temporary visa and the Permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).
There is also a fee for each family member that applies for the visa with you.
You might also have to pay other costs such as those for health checks, biometrics and police certificates.
To work out how much your visa will cost, use the Visa pricing estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.
- 75% of applications: 12 months
- 90% of applications: 18 months