A visitor visa is used by foreign nationals who want to visit Australia for short periods of time for recreation, business or any of the reasons below:
- Family visit
- Business activities, for example, attending workshop, conference, meeting or an exploratory business visit
- To obtain medical treatment or go to a consultation
Who is it for
Anyone who meets the requirements can apply for Australian visitor visa subclass 600.
If you would like to travel to Australia and your passport is not issued by a country eligible for the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) you may be required to obtain a visa to travel to Australia. You may also be required to obtain a visa if you plan to visit Australia for longer than 3 months.
The countries that are eligible for the ETA are:
- Hong Kong
- Italy (and the Vatican City)
- The Netherlands
- Republic of San Marino
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
How to qualify
Meet health requirement
You will be asked questions regarding your health condition in the application form. Some applicants may need to go through medical test in order to complete the visa application process.
You must meet character requirement.
Pay your debts to the Australian government
If you owe the Australian government money, you must have paid it back, or have arranged to pay it back.
Have enough money
You must show evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself while you are in Australia. You need to show evidence of cash in bank. In some cases, asset documents may also play an important role, for example your house, land, etc.
Be a genuine visitor
You must only intend to:
- stay temporarily in Australia
- obey any condition and stay period attached to your visa
Best interests of the child
We might not grant this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.
Application can be submitted both online and paper-based.
If you are applying online, you will need to first create your immiaccount. After login, you will find options to select your visa category to apply.
- Complete the online application
Provide all information asked in the form
Write your purpose of travel and planned activities in Australia and dates of your travel.
- Pay the visa fee
- Upload all relevant documents – Passport, financial documents, employment documents, all your ID documents
Apply Paper-based application
- You will need to complete Form 1419: Application for a Visitor Visa, submit your completed form to VAC or Australian immigration office (usually, a consulate or embassy), and pay for the application fee.
- You will be notified the outcome of your visa (whether it was approved or not), the period it is valid for and next steps. You will be requested to provide supporting documentation and make a trip to the closest immigration office for an interview.
The document needed
To apply for the Australia Visit Visa, applicants must:
- prove that they have sufficient funds to cover your travel costs including your stay in Australia
- Fully completed and signed visa application form.
- A scanned copy of the information page of your valid.
- A good quality photograph (35X45mm) taken within the last 6 months
- A copy of the applicant’s most recent monthly bank statement showing proof of sufficient funds.
- Employment Letter, NOC and leave approval letter
- A copy of immigration status in Australia such as a resident card, work, or study permit, if you are being invited by someone from Australia.
- A copy of hotel reservations or other lodgings for the duration of the journey. The applicant’s name must be on the booking.
- A copy of round trip tickets or complete itinerary for the duration of the journey. The applicant’s name must be on travel plan.
The filing fees for this visa is $145 Australian dollars. Please be aware that the cost of the visas change from time to time, so the cost of your visa might change depending on the date you file your application.
Australian Visitor visa might be granted for 3, 6 or 12 months. But there are some cases where applicant can get up to 3 years visa validity with multiple entry permit.