This provisional visa, subclass 188E, lets you carry out entrepreneurial activities in Australia. The 188E Business visa is good option for entrepreneurs with motivation and innovative ideas and financial backing from third parties. Like other 188 visa streams, it is also a 4-year temporary visa and is only available to people who have been nominated by one of Australian state or territory government. To be nominated to lodge a visa application, the applicant must lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the SkillSelect system.
The visa applicants can either be in Australia or overseas at the time of visa lodgement.
If the applicant is in Australia:
Must hold a Substantive Visa or a Bridging A, B or C visa.
Who is it for
This visa is ideal for people who wish to conduct entrepreneurial activity in Australia and bring dependent family members to live in Australia.
How to qualify
To qualify to lodge your EOI for this visa, you must:
- undertake, or propose to undertake, a complying entrepreneur activity in Australia
- have a funding agreement of at least AUD200,000 to carry out entrepreneurial activity in Australia
- demonstrate a strong business plan for your entrepreneurial activity in Australia
- have at leastcompetent English
Submit your EOI
You cannot apply your visa application directly. First you need to submit expression of interest (EOI) and then be invited to apply through SkillSelect. Submitting an EOI does not mean you can apply your visa. You must get invited from a State or Territory. Submitting an EOI allows a state or territory governments (or the Australian government where possible) to evaluate your business claims and determine whether or not to nominate you.
Once you get nomination from state or territory government, you will be invited to apply for the Subclass 188E visa through Skillselect portal. you will have 60 days to apply online for the visa after receiving your invitation.
Detailed Information about the state eligibilities and requirements are available on state and territory websites.
Gather your documents
You will need to upload evidence of your identity, and upload all documents about your business and personal assets and savings. You also need to submit documents about family members applying with you.
Apply for the visa
You will be notified about your visa through your ImmiAccount and email. You cannot apply your visa without visa invitation. Your invitation letter contains instructions on how to submit your application.
After you apply
You will receive a visa acknowledgement letter from your immiaccount. You should not delay in completing your medical and submitting your police clearance as soon as you have applied for your 188E visa.
We will let you know in writing our decision about your visa application. If we grant you the visa, we will tell you:
- your visa grant number
- the date your visa starts
- your visa conditions
The document needed
- Color copies of the pages of your current passport showing photo, personal details, and passport issue and expiry dates.
- national identity card,
- proof of change of name, if applicable
- a marriage or divorce certificate
- your funding agreement (for requirements, see ‘Receive funding from an approved entity’ in the ‘Eligibility’ tab)
- your business plan (for requirements, see ‘Have a complying entrepreneur activity’ in the ‘Eligibility’ tab)
- evidence of your ownership interest in the entrepreneurial activity, such as a historical company extract or partnership agreement, or business name registration for sole traders
- Evidence of the net value of your business and personal assets
- share or debentures certificates, fixed interest securities, ownership and market value of claimed marketable securities (if any)
- memorandum and articles of association, if applicable
- certificate of business registration
- franchise agreement, company registrar, or share transfer documents, if applicable
- partnership agreements between all partners, if applicable
- Evidence you managed the business, if applicable
- Summary statement of assets and liabilities – Provide Form 1139A Statement of Assets and Liabilities Position.
- Provide proof you have at least competent English.
All Australian states and territories may not invite applicants through 188E visa stream. You must check each state and territory website and determine whether they will issue you an invitation to lodge 188E visa. For 188E, it is very important to submit a innovative business plan. Only a unique and satisfactory business idea can be major reason of getting invited under the 188E visa stream.