The resident return visa (RRV) is one of the most talked about Australian visas. If you are an Australia permanent resident and if you stay outside Australia for a longer period of time, your permanent residence status may be invalid due to not fulfilling the stay requirements. You may need to apply for the resident return visa (RRV) if you wish to come to Australia again. Your RRV application must be granted before you can come to Australia.
Who is it for
This visa is for the people who are unable to return to Australia because of their visa validity expiration. This visa allows you to return as a permanent resident.
How to qualify
You must be either
- an Australian permanent resident
- a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
- a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced Australian citizenship. Australian citizens are not eligible to apply for an RRV.
Step 1: Make sure that you have a valid passport. Scan pages in color that show your name , photo, details and passport issue and expiry dates. You must provide documents that support evidence of substantial ties to Australia if necessary.
Step 3: You can also create applications for your family members and attach the respective documents to each of the application.
Step 4: pay the application fee. Your application will not be processed until the visa fee is clear.
Step 5: Submit the application.
You will be notified by the DHA if your Resident Return Visa is approved or refused. In case of visa refusals, you will not get any refund at all.
The document needed
- A complete form 1085 Application for a resident return visa (RRV).
- Payment of the visa application charge.
- Valid passport.
- Evidence of current or former permanent residence visa.
- Documents as evidence of substantial business ties
You are expected to demonstrate you have substantial ownership interests in business and that you are personally involved at a senior level in the day to day operations and management of the business. The business should be an Australian business or a branch of a business which has connections with Australia.
Documents can be:
- company reports defining your role and authority
- business transactions
- partnership/joint venture agreements
- contracts showing your signature
- business or personal records.
- Documents as evidence of substantial cultural ties
- Evidence to support a claim of cultural ties may include:
- publications written by you
- evidence of membership of cultural associations
- newspaper articles about you
- programs listing your artistic or cultural performances.
- Documents as evidence of employment ties
You are expected to demonstrate that you are currently employed, or have a formal offer of employment in Australia, or are employed overseas by the Australian government or a commercial organization. Documents can be:
- letter of offer from employers
- employment contracts
- recent official documents such as group certificates
- employee identification/security pass.
- Documents as evidence of personal ties
- Evidence to support a claim of personal ties may include:
- birth certificates, citizenship certificates or evidence of permanent residence of
- close family members who reside in Australia
- proof of children attending school in Australia
- proof of relationships with those close family members who reside in Australia
- evidence of ownership of property in Australia, such as rates notices or property
- Documents as evidence of family unit
- Evidence to support that you are an immediate member of a family group where the family head holds a current RRV.
- certified copy of the family member’s passport data page and valid RRV
- current proof of relationship.
AUD 405 for each applicant if you apply online
AUD 485 for each visa applicant if you apply paper based. If you are exempt from paying the Non-internet application charge a repayment will systematically be processed and the payment returned to you.
The visa is electronically linked to your valid passport as an e-visa. You cannot be getting a physical label or sticker visa for it. Instead it can be pulled up by Australian immigration authorities when you are at the airport based on your passport details.